Thursday, January 31, 2013

Apple Crisp, Hold the Gluten

I know that I'm under the wire here in posting this (11:57pm) but I stayed up late to make sure I got some good photos of this one for ya'll!  Apple crisp is totally an autumn thing but I love it year round and when I found a recipe that I can enjoy GDF, I threw caution to the wind!  Of course my cookbook by Love Food is my staple for every dish I begin.  (A few people have asked me where they can get this cookbook, so here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Wheat-Dairy-Free-Nutritious/dp/1445458837)
I started off with their apple crisp recipe.  Now, their recipes are superb, but let's be honest, I don't have all of the ingredients in that recipe, nor the time to devote to such an ardous task.  I want something sweet and I want it now!  So I've improvised.  Below is my altered version of apple crisp.  Enjoy!

2 apples of your choice
2 tbsp of light brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
--
3/4 cup and 2 tbsp gluten free flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup dairy-free spread
1/4 cup gluten free granola

Preheat your oven to 350F.  You'll need a medium sized mixing bowl, a 9x9 inch baking pan, a knife, and a cutting board.
I like to start with 2 different kinds of apples.  1 Red and 1 Green.  I chop those into little pieces.  You can wedge them, but it's easier to serve if you chop them into squares.
Then I mix them up in the baking dish I'm using, along with 2 tbsp of light brown sugar, so that the apples get evenly coated.  Sprinkle the apples with the apple juice so that the sugar dissolves.  (I also use cranberry juice if I don't have apple, or sometimes I just skip this step altogether.)
Now it's time to mix the crumble.  Sift the GF flour until there are no lumps.  (Due to laziness, I almost never do this step, but it helps when you do.)  Then go ahead and add the brown sugar.  I like to stir these together with a fork or a loose wire wisk to make sure they get mixed well.  Microwave the dairy free spread for about 20 seconds (if it was room temp, if it was refrigerated, you may need to do it longer).  Add the df spread to the mix and stir until mixture is thoroughly combined.  It should look like cookie dough.

Add the granola to the top of the apples in the baking dish.  You can add or take away based on your personal preference.  Once the top is covered to your taste, add the crumble in small chunks.  I like to roll the dough between my hands and let it crumble, but you can also just break off small pieces and place them over the apples.  You want to cover the apples as much as possible.
Stick in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crumble has browned around the edges.  If the apples are ripe, they do a very nice job of softening in that time frame.

Let the crisp cool for about 10-20 minutes and beware, it's yummy!!!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment