Monday, January 7, 2013

Practically Penniless Pancakes

What's easy to make, costs less than a dollar, and is so good people will be begging you for more?  The answer: nothing GDF...until now that is!

Ok, so I did not think this one up myself, but I highly recommend these pancakes!!  The link was given to me by a friend who has been feeding these pancakes to her kids.  At first, I was skeptical and tucked the recipe away in my 'try someday, just not today' folder.  But hunger struck one night while I was on a trip and had to feed 3 of my friends.  It was late at night and we all looked at each other for a dinner idea and since none of us could come up with one, we had settled on going out.  For anyone who has been GDF long, this is our worst nightmare.  Going to a place that is open late is like going to a graveyard at 12:00am.  It's either a pizza restaurant or a place with a limited menu: neither of which make room for the gluten/dairy challenged.

Suddenly, I remembered the recipe my friend had sent me.  "I have a recipe," I said without thinking, "I mean, I've never tried it and it seems a little weird, but what the heck?"  The general consensus was less than favorable, but since we were hungry and no one really wanted to hunt for restaurants at this late hour, I got the 'go ahead.'  I went home and made these pancakes and to say the least, they looked...odd.  The batter looked like, well, I won't say what.

The batter...don't be worried if yours looks like this too!

 As I was dishing them onto plates, I was thinking that I should have stuck with a recipe that I knew and how this was maybe my only chance to show my friends that GDF food isn't alien fodder, but it was too late.  I served them up hot and wouldn't you know?!  They were phenomenal and they were made with ingredients we had at the house!


They are so easy and only have 2 staple ingredients and if my friends are asking for more, I know they have to be good!  I've included the link below so you can see the original site but here is the recipe:

2 eggs
1 ripe banana
1 capful of vanilla*
A dash of cinnamon*

Use a fork to mash up the banana really well before adding the eggs.  I used a fork to blend the eggs with the banana because a wisk seemed to pick up the chunks of banana too much.
The two bottom ingredients are optional, but I highly suggest adding those two, because without them, these guys are just not as heavenly.  The cinnamon offsets the banana taste nicely and the vanilla replaces the need for syrup, so if you are trying to watch calories, definitely add them both and stir with a fork before pouring the mixture onto a hot pan.
The above recipe serves 2 people theoretically, but I've found that the pancakes are pretty thin, so it's better to treat this as a 1 serving recipe.  
***Beware: these 'pancakes' are not like pancakes really at all.  They are more like crepes.  They are thin and don't flip well, so make sure you allow your pan to get nice and hot, otherwise you may have a sloppy mess rather than a nice dollar-shell shape.   If you're cooking on a cast iron pan, once you add the mixture, turn the heat down to a medium heat.  The pan conducts heat well, so it will have enough heat to carry you through your batter.  Keep on one side for about 30-50 seconds and then flip to keep from burning.

Enjoy!!!!

http://theskinnyconfidential.com/2012/09/25/ummm-seriously-dying-ingredient-pancakes-flourless-full-protein/

4 comments:

  1. I'll be trying these after my next trip to the grocery store to buy bananas. I've made pancakes with a combination of coconut flour and almond flour, but never with just bananas and eggs. Very interesting recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pancakes were so good Jordan, thank you for making them for us! ~Tifiny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Thank you for being up for the challenge!

      Delete