Thursday, January 24, 2013

Breakfasts of GDF Champions

Breakfast....one of the most daunting words for a GDF eater.  Really, who wants to wake up and cook, especially before their morning coffee?  Alas, as I established in one of my first posts, nothing about a GDF diet is quick and easy and so we turn to either extensive meal prep or taking the plunge into our wallets and purchasing overly-priced GDF products.  There isn't much we can do about it until the 'fad' of going gluten-free dies down, or more allergen-free companies flood the market.  Either way, as my attempt at rising above the challenge, I've included an easi-er breakfast idea for the gluten and dairy challenged.  Enjoy!

Rice Krispies and Lactaid


Lactaid is easy on my stomach and I've been able to digest it well, even with my growing sensitivity. Also, the fact that it is real milk is easier for me to wrap my head around.  Honestly, getting to the point of even purchasing Lactaid was the biggest feat for me.  Many trips to the grocery store were spent staring at the non-dairy milk section just working up the nerve to try one.  I've always been particular about my milk and I don't like to have it, well, messed with, but after I found out that Lactaid just adds an enzyme to break down the lactose, I felt much better and I've never looked back (something I cannot say about some of the vegan cheeses I have tried).  Hey, at least it still comes from a cow!

The Rice Krispies were yumm-o!  They did taste different than the regular variety, having more of a rice flavor, but they were still good, and as far as I am concerned, they are after all, RICE Krispies, are they not!?  The texture was the same and the price wasn't too bad.  It added some normalcy back to my diet as far as breakfast goes, and for that I am grateful!

Altogether the milk cost me about $6 and the Rice Krispies about $4.  So for a bowl of morning cereal gdf style, I paid about $2...not too shabby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment