Monday, April 22, 2013

Fajita Quinoa from a GF Newbie

Since I started my GDF journey, I have had various people join the GF or DF craze at different times, for different reasons. Some people are trying it to lose weight, some are trying it to eat healthier, and some just want to see what it tastes like. It doesn't matter why they are trying it though, I'm just happy to have companions that can collaborate when it comes to meal time! It is that exact sentiment that has brought me to this next blog. I thought it would be an interesting idea to share one of my most recent GF converts' quinoa recipe. It sounds delish, although admittedly I have not tried it myself...yet.

It's a quick meal (under 30 minutes) and it has all of the basic GDF nutrition that you need. Give it a try!

Here's my fajita quinoa recipe:
1 tbsp coconut oil
The color of the quinoa should be reddish when mixed.
1 tbsp minced garlic (or 2 fresh cloves minced)
4.5 oz can of jalapenos (or about 2 fresh ones)
1 cup quinoa
1 cup GF chicken broth
1 cup water
1 package of McCormick Fajita seasoning
Grilled chicken strips (you can buy them precooked or you can grill them up yourself!)

Heat the coconut oil on the bottom of a medium pan. On medium heat, saute minced garlic and minced jalapenos (use more or less jalapenos depending on your 'spicy' preference).
Add rinsed quinoa to the pan and continue to saute together with the garlic and jalapenos. In a medium bowl, mix chicken broth and water with half a packet of fajita seasoning. After mixing, add it to the sauteed/browned quinoa mix. Bring to a rolling boil, then cover and turn on low. Let simmer for 15 minutes. In a separate pan, mix the remaining fajita mix with 1/2 cup water and a little bit of gluten free soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and add one package of already cooked chicken strips. Cover on low heat about 10 minutes, then drain the chicken and mix in with the thoroughly cooked quinoa. I like to put it in a bowl and top with grated cheese and fresh tomatoes Others prefer to put it in a corn tortilla and eat like a traditional fajita. It's up to you!

I hope you like it and I'd love to hear your feedback! Thanks Olivia Wolf for the recipe! XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment