Monday, April 15, 2013

GDF Applesauce Chicken Dinner

Mott's Applesauce
courtesy of soap.com
Applesauce is one of my favorite foods.  I enjoy eating it at any time during the day, with anything.  So when I picked up my jar of Mott's Applesauce and saw this yummy recipe on the label, I immediately went to work doctoring it up to fit my GDF dietary needs.  It's an apple/teriyaki sauce glaze for chicken or fish.  I used it on chicken.

Now, you may or may not know this, but most teriyaki sauces are (mostly) inherently not gluten free.  They usually have malt or wheat in them.  On a side note, this is one of the reasons GDF living can be so difficult, because honestly, who would know about the gluten in something like teriyaki sauce?!  Anyway, I substituted the teriyaki with worcestershire sauce which is more commonly gluten free, (although I strongly urge you to read the label and check for malt, just in case).

I served mine over quinoa (prepared as per package instructions) with asparagus on the side and let me tell you what: it was yummy!!
Ok, here's the easy-peasy recipe:
2 cups Mott's Applesauce
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
2 cloves of freshly minced garlic
6 chicken breasts or cutlets
olive oil or cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Mix ingredients for sauce.  (You can marinate it if you want, I did and I think it really made the chicken more tender in the end.  If you do marinate the chicken, wash it off before browning it!)

Using cooking spray, grease the skillet that you are using and brown both sides of the chicken (about 3 minutes on each side).  Place the browned chicken in a 9x13 pan and use the sauce to cover the chicken completely.  Place in the oven, uncovered for about 25 minutes, turning chicken at 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy my GDF family! XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment