Thursday, April 25, 2013

Florentine Frittata Fav: a GDF take on the Italian dish

Presenting one of my favorite recipes (drum roll please), the GDF Florentine Frittata.  I will admit one of the reasons that I love this recipe so much is that it was the very first GDF meal I ever made (successfully).  I was basically so hungry that any food that wasn't charred, uncooked, or otherwise inedible seemed like heaven on a plate.  Although, I have since made this recipe and improved upon the initial attempt, so I like to think it is now a favorite in its own right.  I got the original recipe out of my Love Food (R), Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free cookbook.  I hope you like it!  It's super easy and requires less than 30 minutes to get from mixing the ingredients to landing on your plate (which is also a reason it's a fav).  Let me know what you think!

Oh and a disclaimer: it does call for eggs, so if you are vegan or can't do eggs, feel free to use egg substitute.  I haven't experimented with egg sub., so I'm not sure what it will require in terms of baking adjustments. (If you do try it, let me know, I'd love to satisfy my curiosity!)

GDF Florentine Frittata

The colors of this dish are one of the
many reasons that it is so fun to serve!
2 large white potatoes, skinned and cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter (or dairy-free spread)
1 medium golden onion, finely chopped
6 eggs, break yolks but don't mix heavily
2 roasted red peppers, diced
Garlic salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Turn on the broiler to high for preheating.  Cook the potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water until potatoes are soft and fall apart (about 15 min).  Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil and spread in a medium skillet with a heatproof handle over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until the onions start to brown.  (They're so yummy when they're caramelized!) Add the potatoes and the red peppers and stir lightly to prevent sticking for another 5 minutes or so.  Make sure you spread the onions, peppers and potatoes evenly across the bottom of the pan.
Most cookware can go in the broiler
for 5 minutes or so, however, check
with your cookware provider for
any restrictions.
*TIP* If you do not have a pan with a heatproof handle that you feel comfortable sticking in the broiler, you can heatproof the handle of a pan that you can stick in there, by wrapping the handle twice in aluminum foil.

Mix the eggs, lightly stirring and seasoning with garlic salt and pepper to taste.  Pour eggs over the potatoes, peppers, and onions.  Allow to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the outer layer of the eggs set.  (You can tell by gently lifting the frittata with a butter knife, if the eggs don't crack and seep through, you're set.)

You can serve as a breakfast or
brunch dish by adding bacon or
hashbrowns as a side.
Turn your broiler to low and stick the pan in the oven for about 3-5 minutes or until the top is set and there is no more evidence of 'runny eggs'.  There is no need to cool, you can cut and serve immediately!

Buon appetito! XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment